Come & See 2023: The Beatitudes
Take Something Up this Lent: some ideas
Lent is when Christians remember Jesus going into the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights after he had been baptised. During this time he was tempted by the devil, but he did not give in. For Christians, Lent forms the lead up to Easter. They use this time to reflect on and prepare for Easter, which is when they remember the death and resurrection of Jesus.
Come and See is a big, warm welcome to everybody to explore Christianity this Lent. We'll be looking at the Beatitudes - a vision for the best way of living we can hope for.
There are two main opportunities for individuals to 'take something up' this lent:
- Join us on the journey - sign up for free emails through Lent. For those who are unable to access email or audio recordings can buy a booklet version for £2
- Join one or more Come & See discussion group sessions, in-church or online, on Thursday afternoons from 16:00 to 17:00
Come and See Sessions: 2023
Come and See
discussion groups based around the Beatitudes take place on Thursdays from
16:00 to 17:00. Here is an opportunity to talk about issues raised by a short film from Bishop Steven on aspects of the Beatitudes. The talks take place:
- in-church in the Winchester Room of St Mary's Church, Witney, and
- on online on Zoom | Meeting ID: 999 9176 2911
| Passcode: 836069.
These small group sessions work with the whole text, but read through six different lenses over six weeks:
- Thu 23rd Feb: The vision – the new vision of humanity RY
- Thu 2nd Mar : The mirror – minding the gap RY
- Thu 9th Mar: The portrait – the character of Jesus TW
- Thu 16th Mar The medicine – the ministry and saving work of Jesus TW
- Thu 23rd Mar: The promise – the people we are becoming TW
- Thu 30th Mar: The habits – the narrow way. TW
Come and See works for people with an active faith and also those exploring Christianity for the first time. The materials invite both Christians and enquirers alike to deepen their knowledge of and relationship with God.
For further details email firstname.lastname@example.org