Arranging a Funeral
Arranging a Funeral within our Benefice
There are two important things to do early on:
- Register the death: click here for official guidance from the government
- Meet with a Funeral Director. The Funeral Director is a key person when arranging a funeral. They will talk to you about what kind of funeral you would like and it is the Funeral Director, rather than the bereaved family, who then works with with our Church Office to make all funeral arrangements including whether you wish to have an organist.
Other things to think about
- Please let your Funeral Director know your preferred funeral dates. Some dates and timings may be be unavailable due to pre-booked services and events but we do have five churches in the Benefice.
- Occasionally, if there are strong pastoral reasons, it may be possible to request a specific priest (although we do have a large team and juggle many diaries so this can be complex).
Once a Priest has been assigned to the Funeral they will contact you, the family, to help make the day go according to wishes given; to assist with the running order of the service and to offer pastoral support.
After the Funeral
- Please feel free to come to our churches any time they are open for prayer and reflection. Some of our churches have candles for you to light.
- There is an Annual service of Remembrance in November - see our website for details
- We recognise that grief is a complex and on-going process. If you would like to have any pastoral support in the months and years ahead please do contact the parish office.
Church of England Advice
Here are links to some Church of England Guides to Funerals
- First steps in arranging a funeral: register the death and meet the Funeral Director
- Funeral locations: find out where the funeral can take place
- Find a minister: ask your Funeral Director to contact our Benefice Administrator Michelle Bailey-Wells on 01993 779 492 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- A step-by-step guide to the funeral service
- Light a candle to remember someone
- A selection of prayers
- After the Funeral
- Funeral FAQs